So I have been one-lucky-duck in the blog world lately–getting a couple AWESOME products sent my way. The first to arrive was Manitoba Hemp Protein Powder. As you know, I’m a HUGE fan of hemp: I have 2 scoops in a Green Smoothie every morning.
But I don’t just throw it in there for fun. It’s SUPER good for you.
- Hemp is a vegan source of essential fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber, chlorophyll
- A complete protein, meaning is supplies enough of each of the essential amino acids to contribute to the human body’s requirements
- Helps repair muscles
- Supports growth of lean body mass
- Hemp protein is made up of “Edestin:” a type of plant protein that is similar to protein found in the human body, making it perfect for cellular needs like DNA repair
- Easily digested and assimilated because hemp protein is similar to human protein
- Has essential polyunsaturated fatty acids omega-6 and omega-3 at the optimal 3:1 balance
- “Cold pressed” or “Raw”
I think the most popular protein powders out there are “Whey” and “Soy.” Both of which, hemp beats. Whey is made from dairy products and often has a ton of additives in the commercial brands (plus my body doesn’t like dairy too much).
And here’s a case against soy:
- Soy has more protein per serving
- BUT many soy powders that are not organic are often processed with chemicals
- Soy can cause stomach upset and gas in some individuals
- There’s no known allergens present in Hemp Protein Powder
- Soy protein powders are often derived from genetically modified soybeans
- Hemp has a more environmentally friendly growing process because hemp doesn’t require Herbicides or Pesticides to grow easily
I was super lucky that Manitoba sent me some hemp products to try and review. How can I not love all this goodness? I was sent the vanilla and chocolate flavors, as well as a sample bag of shelled hemp seed. Thanks, Manitoba!
What is your must-have smoothie ingredient? Foe me, banana. Hands Down.
Do you use protein powders? If so which one? Yeah, hemp.
What is one “health choice” you cant live without? Exercising? A Salad a day? Mine is, without a doubt, my morning green smoothie!