Years ago, I tried my hands at these: Go Raw inspired Spirulina Bars. Those were made with dates, sunflower seeds, chlorella, and banana.
Flash forward to 2015 and I’ve made these again – with sesame seeds, bananas, and chlorella.
Chlorella and spirulina are pretty similar (one warm-water, one cold-water algae), so don’t let that throw you. These bars are now the closest thing I’ve created and found to match the taste, texture, and sweetness of the “Go Raw” bars, without breaking the bank.
Spirulina Energy Bar Ingredients:
- 10 oz sesame seeds
- 6-7 bananas (more bananas = sweeter)
- 1-2 Tbs chlorella or spirulina (In the below photos I used two, and had a slightly more algae taste than the commercial option)
Spirulina Energy Bar Directions:
- First you’ll want to soak your sesame seeds for 6-8 hours to “sprout” them. This releases enzyme inhibitors like phytic acid and makes sesame seeds (or any nut, seed, bean, and legume) more digestible.
- Strain and dry the sesame seeds slightly. Letting them sit in a strainer for an hour will do just fine.
- Peel your bananas and chop into manageable pieces (half or thirds). Use your VitaMix or food processor to thoroughly blend into a bananapaste.
- In a large bowl, combine sesame seeds, banana paste, and chlorella and spirulina until well mixed and dispersed.
- Line your dehydrator trays with Teflax or parchment paper. Smooth the mixture onto the trays at 1/4 inch thickness.
- This is important, because any thinner you will get a more cracker consistency. Thicker, and it will be too chewy.
- Dehydrate for 10-14 hours at 100-105 degrees. You want to keep this low so that the algae remains its nutrients.
- Use a sharp knife to shape into bars.
Chlorella is amazingly nutritious and is worth every bite in this raw energy bar. Chlorella has an array of health benefits, including:
- Aid in processing more oxygen
- Help purify the blood
- Neutralize bad air coming into the lungs
- Promote growth and repair of tissues
If you still need some convincing, you can read through all of chlorella’s benefits right here.