Spring Cleaning Inside and Out
Spring has been underway for about a month now, but if you’re anything like me, it takes more than a date or a solstice to actually believe it’s spring. I need a few warm weather days, a sunny sky, and a 0% chance of snow before I’m motivated enough to do some spring cleaning.
So this is the week! And I believe that when it is time to clean, you can’t just clean out your shoe closet.
Here are 3 Major ways to get clean for spring. With 10 practical tips.
Clean Your Home
- Keeping a clean home is motivating and gives you energy. If you’re feeling tired and drowsy, cleaning your place can help you feel more light and energized. Just think about it – You don’t have all that stuff and clutter affecting your mental clutter. Giving your body more space helps you stay relaxed.
- Pick a week and do a different project every day: Maybe your kitchen cupboard Monday night, your office mailbox Tuesday night, and save reorganizing your closet for a weekend. Designating a time to do it all in a timely fashion will make you feel more accomplished.
- Air out the house: We should all be airing out the house for at least 5 minutes a day, everyday – even in the winter. In the spring this is even more important. We’ve been breathing the same recycled air all winter long. Plus, this fresh air can be really energizing.
Clean Your Body
- I got news for you, We are toxic. From the air we breath, the receipts we pick up at the store, the beauty products we put on our skin. Toxins sneak in to our cells and spring is a great time to clean them out.
- Flood your diet with green: Green leafy vegetables are blood purifiers great for detoxification. If you look at the natural growing process of food, spring is when all the leafy greens sprout up! Our ancestors would rely heavily on these greens during the spring as a natural cleaning.
- Start every morning with a citrus beverage. Citrus is one of the most alkaline and cleansing foods. Try a mix of lemon, lime, or orange, aloe vera and cayenne pepper to start the day. The aloe is very soothing for the digestive tract (before you start your munching for the day), and the cayenne will start getting things moving.
Clean Up Your Act
- Our negative thoughts can really bring us down. Starting to shift this crummy thinking for a more positive view of self and life can make us feel like the lighter, cleaner individual we are striving for. Ditch the negative thinking to clean up you act.
- Journal: Journaling can be very therapeutic for uncovering and releasing built up emotions. Put the pen to the paper and clean out your mental winter clutter.
- Write a list of goals and read them before bed: This will allow your mind to subconsciously absorb these while you sleep. This can help you wake up more motivated to tackle your to-do list or major life goals.
- Read a daily affirmation. Write a few positive affirmations to yourself and plug them throughout your day to give you a positive lift: on the bathroom mirror, your phone or computer background, a book mark. Try phrases like, “I love and respect myself.” “I am fit and healthy and treat my body in a fit and healthy way.” “Even when things get stressful, I can find peace and joy within myself.”
How will you be spring cleaning?